Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Latest from Uganda

Hello Everyone,

Well, I have a total of one week left… I can’t believe that it has gone by so fast. It is crazy how time flies… I feel like I have so much more to do here. I feel like this experience has enriched my life in so many ways. I am will forever be grateful for this experience.

Last week was amazing. I spent most of the week in Gulu which is up North about 6 hours. This is where the most recent conflict/civil war has been in Uganda and the “Invisible Children” documentary was filmed. This is a very damaged area and the people there are still recovering. I was able to meet with 2 women groups. One women group we are working with makes paper bead necklaces and we are working with them to sell them in the U.S. to help them pay for their children’s school fees. The other women’s group we are working with we were able to help buy pigs to help them start a piggery project where the women will raise pigs and sale them to help pay for the many orphans they are taking care of due to the conflict in Gulu.

Also, last week in Gulu I was able to work in the schools… I taught teacher trainings which were pretty amazing. The teachers were very honest about their concerns about teaching. For example at one school they have 1300 students and only 17 teachers. They had 140 students in primary 4. It is overwhelming. I also was able to teach students about staying in school they have a huge problem with children dropping out of school especially girls at the age of puberty. The girls feel like when they hit puberty it is there time to have children. So our goal is to educate as many of the students as we can to remind them to stay in school and the importance of staying in school. To put it into perspective they had 240 girls in primary 6 and only 54 girls in primary 7. They all drop out! It is a huge problem and makes me so sad. My time in Gulu was a time of learning. War can destroy a people for a time being but the people there are hopeful and on their way up.

Then I finished last week with a three day adventure at Murchison Falls! Yes, It was absolutely amazing. Day one was a game drive… I saw giraffes, elephants, buffalos, hippos, antelopes, birds… and so much more… it was incredible to be in Africa in these animals habitat. Day 2 was another game drive… this was even more entertaining because an elephant charged at us. Then we went on a boat drive to the Murchison falls on the boat ride hippos surrounded us and it was incredible yet scary they were so close to use. I felt like it was the jungle book ride at Disneyland. Literally! Then there were crocodiles swimming nearby. It was amazing. Then we hiked to the falls it was the prettiest waterfall! The hike was humid and hot but so worth it. Day 3 was filled with even more excitement, we trekked Chimpanzees and we found them… Many of them. The shrills of their cries were overwhelming as fruit and leaves fell on our heads as they moved along the trees above us. They were only about 10 feet away from us. It was awesome! (yet freaked me out quite a bit) Then the last part of my adventure was visiting a Rhino reserve where we hiked the grasslands and stood within 2o feet of a rhino (not behind) a fence. It was so funny they told me if it looks at you and starts to charge, run and climb a tree. You should have seen my response; I did an awkward laugh and said really. I can’t climb a tree! But, no worries I did not have to climb a tree and I was able to see a Rhino up close and personal!

Needless to say last week was really incredible and I was able to see so much and experience so much. If you have heard on the news about the bombings here there is no need to worry. I am 45 minutes away from the location and I was on a safari when it happened. I feel very safe here and am not very concerned. My group is being very cautious and careful. Well, I need to go now but I love you all very much and I am so excited to see you in a week! Thank you for all of your continued prayers and love.

Love you,

Jen

No comments: