Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Update #4 from Uganda

Hello Everyone,
I just wrote an extensive email and it just delete tthe frusration of internet in a 3rd world country.... But anyhow, things are going so well.. Grandpa thank you for the emails, the reason you couldn't find Sipi falls was because I had spelled it wrong... I also have seen Lake Victoria. I have seen lots of wonderful things as I have traveled around villages teaching health/hygiene lessons. I am learning so much and learning to better adjust to the culture.
This week we have been involved in coordinating Eye Camps where we brought together surgeons, nurses, and doctors from Kampala to screen over 350 people. We were able to perform 20 cataract surgeries, hand uut 200 pair of glasses, and many medications. This was an amazing experience and allowed me to really see the extent of the deprived health care here. But it was great to see people get the gift of sight. It was wonderful to be a small part of it. I also got to watch a cataract surgery. WOW! That was gross yet interesting at the same time.
Tomorrow we are doing a large football (soccer) tournament with schools where we will be doing an AIDS outreach and teaching. I will be teaching teacher trainings to 30 plus teachers. Which, I am very excited about. I am adjusting and learning to love it that much more here. I am happy! But, I sure do miss home.
By the way the weather is very humid in the day but nights are windy and cool. I really enjoy the food, mango salsa especially I will have to make it for everyone when I get home. Rebecca and Carl have fun on your vacation and Chris keep getting better with your teeth. Kids keep being good! I am also dancing in a festival next week to show an american dance. This showed be fun! Anyhow, I love you and miss you! I will write soon! Write back, I love to hear from you,
Love you,
Jen

No comments: