Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Update #3 from Uganda

Hello Everyone,
Thank you so much for your encouraging thoughts and emails... It is so wonderful to hear from you! I apologize for not writing back individually the internet here is very unreliable.

I wanted to wish all the fathers a Happy Father's Day! You are all such amazing men and have so much to give. Being here I realize how truly blessed I am with a father that has taught me to appreciate and love others and to work hard. I love you dad!

I have had another wonderful few days... With the organization I am with we get weekends off and so 10 of the volunteers decided to go travel to a national park called Siepe Falls which is about a 6 hour taxi drive... Now this taxi is not like anything you can imagine we had 21 people and 3 live chicken with no air conditioning on a dirt road for hours.... The best was it began to rain, not a little rain but massive amounts as we arrived in the dark in Siepe Falls. After our "safe" arrival we stayed at a quaint little campsite where we slept in adobe huts, with grass roots. It was as authentic as possible in Uganda. It has mosquito nets which was good. Then we hiked the most incredible waterfalls in the Rain Forest, I thought I had died and gone to heaven except for the muddy trail, I have pictures of what I looked like at the end. We ate at shacks with no electricity but the food was great. It was a wonderful journey we arrived home yesterday Sunday after a long taxi ride. We did eat at a restaurant where I had a brownie, I have never tasted a brownie that tasted so good.

Today I have already taught a health lesson to students on hand washing and proper hygiene. I met with the head master and he has asked me to come back and teach more. It was wonderful to talk to him about his philosophy of education and how U.S. schools compare to his school. I am currently developing a teacher training curriculum to start teaching next week.

This week is going to be amazing we are doing two eye camps this week where we are working with doctors from Kampala on helping people with cataract surgery. I need to go but I will write soon!

Love you,
Jen

No comments: