Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Update from Uganda #1

Hello Everyone,
So, as you may see my phone is not working here and electricity is scarce.... I came to the internet cafe twice in the last two days and there was no electricity! So, I am glad to hear Zander's surgery went well and Rachel is lifeguarding:) I miss you guys!
I am doing really well! I had my first full day here yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. I started the day by going to schools near our house. They are primary or elementary schools. They are so amazing yet sad at the same time. They are brick buildings off in the middle of nowhere with no electricity. Teachers are teaching with no curriculum and students have no supplies. Some classes have 30 to 60 classes and often multiple grade levels are together.It was overwhelming to me, but the children were attentive, respectful, and excited about learning. I help teach and work with the children after school they taught me a game called net ball.... I will have to start it in the U.S. The kids mostly live in boarding schools and put it this way I was there afterschool until 5:oo and they had not had lunch. I am amazed by the children they yell "Bye Muzango" every time they see a white person. It is so cute. I also went to the grocery store, and the market amazing.... Dad remember the picture I showed you of the market it is just like it.. I little intense. But I am being safe don't worry.
I know mom wants to know what I have been eating....My snacks from home and wonderful potatoes, beans, and lots of everything. Squash, pinnapple, bananas which are amazing! I am ate some street food but don't tell dad! It was really good. I am having a great time. It is for sure challenging and overwhelming. The people here are amazingly kind. I rode on a BodaBoda today, and I almost had a heart attack it is crazy a little motocycle no helmets nothing. I know scary.... I have terrible blisters today, so humid here my feet rubbed weird but it should be fine! I do love you so much! I am so blessed in ways I never quite grasped! Thank you for your prayers, love and support! I will try to write more often but like a said my phone doesn't work and the internet is half hour away. I am going to buy an international phone that only costs $0.25 per minute.... I hope everything is going well at home.
Love you,
Jen

No comments: