Thursday, February 18, 2010

Community College Swim Class (Or How I Learned To Embrace Middle-Age)


I'm going to be 36 in two months. Its not something that keeps me up at night, nor am I desperate to do anything that makes me seem younger. I'm actually happier and more at ease with myself than I've ever been. That said, I have been having a hard time fully grasping the fact that I'm not really a young buck anymore. The guys at the mall who used to hand me passes to hip clubs, ignore me now. My pop culture references miss the mark about 95% of the time. But today was my first swim class at Santa Monica College. As I was standing there, I realized that when I started community college in 1992 many of my classmates were just being born!!! That just blew my mind. I felt really old.

That said, there was a silver lining. I absolutely loved the class. I think i'll be able to hit my 2.5 mile swim goal by the end of the year. Additionally, I was the fastest swimmer in the class. Granted, it is a beginner class and a good portion can't swim at all, but it made me feel good to beat some of these young kids. Its ok getting older, in fact, I'm kind of digging it.

1 comment:

MamaLouise said...

Is that the actual pool? Looks really nice. I'm glad you are doing this and that you didn't get too intimidated by the young ones. You're still young but you're old enough to be comfortable in your own skin. That's a good place to be.